Welcome, Piggies!

Yesterday afternoon I saw that the sow was starting to chop up her hay into short, fluffy pieces, and I knew what that meant: she was getting her nest ready! I gave her more hay in the course of my other chores, made sure she had plenty to drink, and prepared myself for a long night.

Daylight Savings Time doesn't jive with me at all. Changing sleep schedules for four kids, and feeding schedules for a host of animals, leads to a lot of heartache and misunderstanding. But I have to say, with the clear weather for the last couple of days, it made for two beautiful milkings: Saturday night I milked by the light of the nearly full moon, and Sunday night I milked by the slanting, golden light of sunset. Being able to do evening chores without a headlamp is nice, I'll grant, but so was doing morning chores without a headlamp... ah well. The days are still lengthening.

Anyway, night fell, and I was nervous. I like to be involved when my sow is farrowing; she's a good momma but sometimes hands are really... well... handy. Yep. Anyway, I know that if I'm not there, sometimes things that are easily solved (like a pig born inside its amniotic sac) can become fatal, whereas if I am present, I can save that particular pig. So I settled in on the couch by a window that faces the hog pen, knowing that once a substantial amount of little pig noises were being made, I would be able to hear them and get outside.

This went exactly according to plan. After falling asleep at 10:30, I woke to some high pitched screaming... yep, sounds like piggers! I jumped up and glanced at the clock as I pulled on my coat: 11:30. Welp, glad I got one hour of sleep anyway. I slipped on my boots and headed out.

There were 2 piggies already born, both acting alert and trying to nurse. I waiting a while and no more came, so I went in to wash my hands in case I had to turn a pig internally to get things moving. A couple contractions after my return she had 2 pigs, almost at the same time! That's the thing with pigs, sometimes they come far apart and sometimes they just pop out. In between births, I listened to a night flight of canada geese taking advantage of the full moonlight, and also a great horned owl. No peepers, though, which bummed me out. By around 3:30 AM there were 15 pigs plus one still birth, and I decided it was safe to go in: the few times she had gotten up to turn over had gone well despite the large number of piggies, and I doubted there were many more to come.

Of course I barely slept even then. I stayed on the couch and listened to the occasional screams as pigs imagined themselves to be stuck under a teat or just unjustly wronged in some fashion by their siblings, and also momma's occasional indignant barks when somebody bit her. I dozed lightly until 6:30, when I got up and went to see how things were going.

Momma was up and hungry, so I gave her breakfast. That let me get a good look at the piggies! I was pretty sure i was counting 16, but not 100%. I did the rest of my chores, peeking at them a few times. One looked a little weak and his color wasn't right. Turned out that one didn't make it either; some of them don't. But, there are still 15 pigs as of now--a very fine litter from a very fine momma sow! I'm so proud of her.

 One cannot expect a Kensie to resist the lure of little tiny piggies!
Here's the lady of the hour and her massive brood! They're all doing well, and she's loving her roomy, dry accommodations! (She did poop in the shed once... but I took it out and told her how unacceptable that was and she hasn't done it since.)

Anyway, I crashed pretty hard today, but two naps later I'm starting to feel like myself again. This weather is such a blessing--keeping little piggies warm can be a real struggle, but with this warm sunshine they're all as cozy as can be! I know it won't last, but by the time temps drop too far they'll be a little better able to regulate their own temperatures. And of course they have the little creep area with the heat lamp, which they seem to really like. Over all I don't know how this could have gone better!

Comments